Wednesday 14 May 2014

16th May is coming


Past few months have been really stressful for all of us. Sikkim experienced disturbances everywhere following vandalism and massacre of two people.  At the very beginning, there is no doubt that every Sikkimese  acknowledge the professional manner in which you conduct elections. But where I need to pick a bone, people were not paying heed to how chaos changes the place we live in and therefore the entire election process starting from the beginning, to campaigning to and to casting my vote was an utter disappointment. Both of the party claimed their golden rule as " Let's maintain peace" but none followed the rule. Both were instigated by each other which resulted in disastrous outcome. Burning vehicles to assaulting women,Sikkim was no longer a peaceful State. 

I had never seen  election this closely before.  On previous elections, I was home only to cast my vote. But this time, I experienced it and I have come to conclusion that politics indeed is a dirty game but if you don't do politics, politics will do you. By saying that, politics never interested me. If you ask me about it, I would totally go blank but this time I was somewhat drawn to it. The fake information some popular Facebook media posted made me realize that politics pulls you into it even when you don't want to get involved. Past few months had indeed been the most stressful months of my life.

And now finally the most awaited day i.e 16th May is just a day away. My friends have been calling and texting me, asking if I am nervous?  I am getting hundreds of mails on Facebook wishing me best . To be honest, I just want this to get settled and over. One of my friend Niha message touched me which said, " be positive and accept gracefully whatever the outcome. Anything might happen. But whatever the result, I am always here for you." Thank you.

Anyway, So what is going to happen tomorrow? Both the parties are dead sure about their win. I hear the opposition have already stocked crackers and started to slaughter goats. On the other hand, SDF is quite and waiting for the result. Some say we needn't worry and some advise to prepare for the worst. But is the result going to affect me or my family members in anyway?

Recently my cousin went to M.G.marg. She is a loyal customer to one shop. The man who runs the shop used to be my favorite Uncle. But post election, his attitude was kind of cold towards my cousin. She told me he couldn't look her in her eyes and never uttered a word. Now what the hell was that? We get it that he is no longer a supporter of SDF but does that mean now he should brush us off? Seriously? Has politics become personal now?

Thinking about that incident I am down in the mouth. I have overheard people saying  " Chamling ko santaan naas garnu parcha."( Should kill all the Chamling family) They serious? " Nepal khedawnu parcha"( Chase them to Nepal) Must be fishing kidding me. I was shocked. Sikkim rightfully belongs to us as it belongs to any other Sikkimese people. How can people be so inhuman? How quickly people change colors. 

If change should come tomorrow by any chance, I know that people who was kind to us will suddenly change their attitude towards us, one who  ran after us for favors will turn their back towards us, I guarantee it. Some friends will definitely choose the other direction. People who visit our home will be cut down by percents. We will be given cold shoulder because then they will no longer have any favor to ask from us. It's a human nature I think. It changes with circumstances and time.

 If SDF will come to power once again then, it will be just the opposite I guess. SDF is going to make history either way. We will carry on living whatever the result. I will still be me and the way I am. Some friends will still stick around, no matter what. But having experienced all this, I will always remember, politics has no full stop. It goes on and it not only affects the state of The State but also it affects personal relationships.

Now it's just a matter of wait and watch. Brace yourself, 16th is coming :)






6 comments:

  1. Seriously good and too damn right!! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you P.L!NG :p . I value your comments. keep commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Well susie....first of all Congrts for such an autobiographically wonderful article. You are a real seeker of truth and nothing deters you from admitting what you feel...hats off to u and ur courage....most importantly ur objectivity regarding election process and manner, in terms of both the parties...
    This article shows your human understanding and the carve to have a fair and peaceful election under all circumstances. ...I am also of the opinion that this election has been the worst experience for the peace loving people of sikkim. Sikkim, to the best of my knowledge, has always been synonym to peace. It's been awarded crime free state status since long but what we see today is really embarrassing.....
    I am not a native but has always considered sikkim my abode for quite some time...I am not being partial in my approach but would like to add something :-
    1.For the last twenty years, elections has been conducted in the most disciplined and peaceful manner then what went wrong this time....
    2. Sikkimease people are decent and gentle by nature...I presume god granted these qualities by birth to them in addition of the natural beauty of this place. So what made the youth so aggressive and violent...
    Its just the dirty mind and tricks of a handful of people who are playing with the mind of the innocent and provoking them for their own selfish motives...

    It is noteworthy to mention that in the last twenty years of SDF regime , it never happened before.....then who are the responsible ones for this mess around here now....this is something ...the wise should ponder upon......

    Apart from this, those who say "Chamling ko santaan naas garnu parcha" (plz ignore the mistakes, my nepali is not good..in fact I have started just now to learn it....esp. for someone), I can't supress my laugh. ...GOD!!! Somebody go and tell them that this is democracy man....they really need some psychiatrist. ...god help them...

    Now let me come to that MG MARG shop -keeper uncle... world is full of people like the uncle mentioned above... but there are still some people who would love you for what you are... this number is very scanty...but look around...u will get some...I am sure ...u must be having a few....a very few....as of now also.

    Always remember, nothing can change the faith of a good friend in you...your name , fame and social status, is all irrelevant to them....they will always stick to you irrespective of your profile status. ..

    Please be assured of such friends. ..they will never gonna leave you...but must have insight to identify a true friend and a loyalist. Your being the daughter of a CM will not impress them much...since they love you for yourself.

    Would like to add a guess too.....SKM will get a few seats and would be a strong oppostion party....but sir chamling would come victorious as always....I am 100% sure( based on my political understanding. )

    susie...please keep writing ......looking forward for some more articles..

    Once again... congrats in advance. ..

    With warm regards ....Rao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anil,
    Thank you for your precious comment. It really means a lot to me that you have taken up your time to write some kind words. I am overwhelmed. Thank you for your wishes too.

    ReplyDelete